The sequel to Nathan Drake's globe-trotting adventures for history's greatest treasures.ESRB rating
||Blood, Language, Suggestive Themes, Violence
The roguish fortune-hunter hero Nathan Drake returns in Among Thieves, a high-adventure follow-up to the original Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. In action, Drake employs a movie-set worthy of the most daring video game tomb raiders and relic hunters, with agile running and jumping, light hand-to-hand combat, and a noteworthy talent with small arms. These skills are put to use as the hero once again finds himself adventuring in the wilderness, facing a tricky location-based platform puzzles or vastly outnumbered by bands of violent, heartless bandits. The game runs on the developer's own engine. The character is designed to move with a smooth, realistic flow as he runs, sneaks, climbs, and fires his weapon from nearly any position -- behind makeshift cover, or even while hanging by his fingertips from high on a cliff face or treetop vine. The action shifts seamlessly from one scene to the next, with no loading screens.
In this adventure, Drake seeks answers to the mystery of Marco Polo's lost fleet. Great riches and wisdom are tied to the fate of ships and treasure that left China with the famous explorer at the end of the 13th century, but did not arrive with him back home at his final destination. Although Marco Polo took the secrets of the lost ships and crew to his grave, Drake seeks answers on a journey through history, to the fabled Himalayan valley of Shangri-La. The key to the mystery may be a legendary sapphire, known as the "wish-fulfilling jewel." Magical properties or no, the billions of dollars the stone would be worth in modern markets should be enough to make nearly any wish come true. In addition to the main single-player story, the game features cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes. Among Thieves was developed by Naughty Dog, the studio that created the original Uncharted as well as other successful Sony-system exclusives.
Other releases of this product
There are other releases of this game: click here
to see them all.Editorial review
Special featuresAn adventuresome sequel to the PS3 original, from premiere developer Naughty Dog
| Follow-up game to 2007's critically acclaimed Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, the PlayStation 3 exclusive Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is a continuation of the adventures of Nathan Drake, a fortune-hunter with a shady reputation and an even shadier past. Chock full of all the action, adventure, cinematic story elements and beautiful graphics that set the first game apart, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves adds deep online multiplayer options, including co-op and competitive campaigns, and a whole new supporting cast of characters, making it yet another must-have title for the PlayStation 3 platform. | Story
Drake with his crew.
Online multiplayer modes.
Cinematic, over-the-top action.
Varied exotic environments.
No action-stopping load screens.
New stealth gameplay.
In Uncharted 2: Amongst Thieves fortune hunter Nathan Drake embarks on a journey that will push him to his physical, emotional and intellectual limits to discover the real truth behind the lost fleet of Marco Polo and the legendary Himalayan valley of Shambhala, more commonly known in the west as Shangri-La. In 1292 Marco Polo departed the court of Kublai Khan in China with 14 ships filled with over 600 passengers and crew. Eighteen months later only one ship remained and 18 passengers survived. Marco Polo never revealed what happened to these lost ships. Embarking on a quest to find the lost fleet, fortune hunter Nathan Drake soon realizes Marco Polo was hiding a much bigger secret - he had gone on a secret expedition to find the mythical kingdom of Shambhala and to recover the legendary Cintamani Stone, the "Wish-fulfilling jewel" of Buddhist mythology. With this new information Drake settles on a new course, following Marco Polo's trail through a diverse range of exotic environments. This quest also pits him against a new, more formidable adversary - a ruthless, rogue paramilitary leader with a private army and a relentless ambition to recover the stone for himself. Gameplay
Although gameplay in Among Thieves is similar to that of the previous game, there are several major differences. The most important of these is the addition of several online multiplayer options. Unfortunately, no offline multiplayer could be included in the game due to the impact local split-screening has on the game's graphical quality. Thankfully though, the online modes included cover both co-op and competitive play. See the feature list below for details on these. In addition to play modes players can also expect a wealth of new gameplay features including a new stealth gameplay mechanic and altered climbing mechanic--both of which are extended to the AI of enemies; the ability to create cover by flipping over certain found items; the use of riot shields for defense and offense; and a complete lack of loading screens. Key Game Features
- Powered by Naughty Dogâ€™s new 2.0 Engine Technology.
- Open layout allows players to take an aggressive or stealth approach to combat.
- Free-flowing "traversal gunplay" adds a unique vertical element to standard 3rd-person shooting mechanics.
- Award-winning cinematic story presentation.
- A Deep Single Player Campaign
- An expanded cast of characters who reflect different facets of Drakeâ€™s character, including Chloe Frazer, Drakeâ€™s current partner and new romantic interest.
- Varied and exotic locations â€“ from lush, green swamps and dense urban environments, all the way to the ice and snow of the Himalayas.
- Unrestricted combat allows you to take an aggressive or stealthy approach to combat.
- Free-flowing "traversal gunplay" adds a unique vertical element to familiar cover-based third-person shooting mechanics, allowing you to engage in combat from any position in the environment â€“ even while climbing and hanging.
- Introduction of new traversal and free-climbing mechanics allow Drake to navigate through the environments more fluidly and naturally.
- Gunplay and combat enhancements, including an expanded melee system, and a variety of enemy types with advanced AI routines. High-quality cinematic presentation of scenes, characters and dialogue, all rendered within the Naughty Dog Engine 2.0.
- Dramatic in-game events that make you an active participant in the cinematic experience.
- Full character interaction with dynamic geometry.
- Utilizes Naughty Dog Engine 2.0 purpose-built for the PlayStation 3; utilizes the PS3 technology to hit a turning point in technology innovation by recreating reality and capturing human emotion.
- No visible loading â€“ a Naughty Dog hallmark â€“ returns along with technology improvements in major game systems such as lighting, shadows, ambient occlusion, animation technology and physics, among many others.
- A Wide Variety of Online Multiplayer Options.
- Competitive Multiplayer
- Competitive multiplayer gameplay includes up to 10 players in heroes-versus-villains matches.
- Deathmatch: Up to 5 vs. 5 with customizable or pre-set game modes.
- Plunder: Unique style of multiplayer that encourages team work to transport a treasure across terrain horizontally and vertically over obstacles.
- Player boosters give you a variety of options to customize your characters to your play style or to provide an advantage over opponents.
- Co-op Multiplayer
- Up to three players work together in cooperative modes to accomplish set objectives with increasing difficulty and against special enemy characters.
- Combo system encourages further teamwork to increase a point total and currency multiplier.
- Weapon upgrades let you customize your weapons to your play style or provide an advantage over opponents.
- General Multiplayer Features.
- Robust party system allows you to remain with your friends in matchmaking and custom matches.
- Custom matches allow you to customize maps and modes which your party wishes to play.
- Currency gained in multiplayer matches can be combined with currency gained in single player missions to unlock additional content and upgrades.
- Character animations and environments taken from single player campaign maintain visual fidelity with no degradation.
- Gameplay and character mechanics identical from the single-player campaign, ensuring user familiarity and same level of quality.
- Headset support.
- Proprietary Naughty Dog Engine 2.0 network code captures a broad range of gameplay data for statistics reporting on the web and for functionality like Cinema, which allows players to watch replays of matches.
- Cutting edge technology such as cloud-based computing allows for scalable online infrastructure to provide optimal player experience.
Take the role of roguish Nathan Drake, brave explorer and treasure hunter
Run, jump, climb, sneak, and shoot through a dangerous wilderness teeming with villains
Seek the secrets behind an ancient mystery in the fabled land of Shangri-La
Cooperative multiplayer for up to three, or compete against four friends online